- Which Size Do You Need?
Which Size Do You Need?
(Scroll down for What Size Sconce)
How wide of a chandelier do you need?
- Widths are measured as the diameter of the widest part of the chandelier.
- Simply add the width and length of your room and use this sum as a starting point. For example, if your room is 12´x14´, we would suggest looking for a 26" wide chandelier.Consider choosing slightly smaller if you think your room is overly full or close. Or consider going a bit larger for an open room or a room with a high ceiling.
- If you are placing your chandelier in a two story foyer, remember that the higher you hang a chandelier, the smaller it looks, so you can go bigger than the formula suggests.
- For living rooms, bedrooms, or baths where it is necessary to walk under the chandelier, you might need to choose smaller than the formula suggests.
How many lights should your chandelier have?
- Each of our sockets can carry 60 watts, but 40 watts is usually sufficient and more flattering to the chandeliers.
- Smaller rooms do fine with 6 to 8 lights, but larger rooms may require 8 or more lights if the chandelier is your only light source.
- Using a dimmer with allow you to adjust brightness as needed and add to the lifetime of your bulbs.
- To accentuate a tall ceiling, choose a crystal chandelier with an upper tier of lights. Or, choose a sconce with a center, taller arm.
What length should your chandelier be?
- Whatever fits!
- For a dining room, from your ceiling height subtract your table height, the distance you desire from the table to the bottom of the chandelier, and 4" for the ceiling hardware. This figure represents the maximum length that your chandelier can be. If your choice of fixture is shorter than this figure, you will need to use chain.
- For living rooms or other rooms that must have a walking clearance, 6´6" or more is an appropriate clearance. Subtract your desired clearance form your total ceiling height, less 4" more for hardware. This will give you your maximum chandelier length.
- Minimum height of a chandelier is the listed length plus 4" (the total measurement of the mounting hardware plus one link of chain).
What Size Sconce should you use?
- Choose between a single, double or triple sconce based on which look you and which will fit.
- Triple sconces are nice in a room with tall ceilings.
- Keep in mind that the outer arms will adjust a bit. You can count on the flexibility of 1-2 inches.